Learning Objectives for Final
- Identify the connection between pressure differences and wind.
- Describe how wind blows around high and low pressure centers in the northern and southern hemispheres.
Go to the this webpage, read through it and view the animations on high and low pressure systems. (these are in the southern hemisphere)
- Identify and explain the connection between high pressure areas and fair weather and low pressure areas and stormy weather.
- Identify the Coriolis affect, and recall how it deflects winds and currents in the northern and southern hemisphere. Explain how his leads to the Jet Stream.
- Explain how the atmosphere acts as a heat-transfer system from the equator to the poles, and explain why warm air moves towards the poles while cool air moves towards the equator.
- Identify and explain the difference between the four major types of air masses, continental polar, maritime tropical, maritime, polar, and continental tropical
- Compare and contrast the formation of warm and cold fronts, and what types of weather they lead to.